Re: 2.6.20.4: NETDEV WATCHDOG and lockups

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Tue Apr 03 2007 - 10:29:44 EST

Christian Kujau wrote:
Len et al., do you even suggest to use ACPI on a server system at all? I myself always thought of ACPI being evil and to avoid when possible (thus switching it off completely on a serversystem).

These days I think it's usually best to have ACPI on with current systems. Although it's not as bad with servers, many machines are designed to run only Windows (which normally always uses ACPI) and simply aren't tested well or at all with ACPI disabled so you can run into a lot of problems which are just bugs in the BIOS, etc.

Also, on the server side, if ACPI is disabled you can't take advantage of CPU clock frequency scaling to save power.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx