Re: [patch 6/13] signal/timer/event fds v8 - timerfd core ...

From: Davide Libenzi
Date: Sat Mar 31 2007 - 15:47:29 EST

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > Did you consider using the (presently unused) lock inside wqh instead of
> > > adding a new one? That's a little bit rude, poking into waitqueue
> > > internals like that, but we do it elsewhere and tricks like that are
> > > acceptable in core-kernel, I guess.
> >
> > Please, no. Gain is not worth the plug into the structure design IMO.
> >

> The decision is not that obvious - your patch's main use of
> timerfd_ctx.lock is to provide locking for wqh - ie: to duplicate the
> function of the existing lock which is there for that purpose.
>
> So I think it's a legitimate optimisation to borrow it.

As I see it, the lock protects the ticks and the timer structure, and the
wait queue *happen* to have a lock inside. That's the whole purpose in
having data modeled by structures with accessor functions.
IMO, given that we'd get by plugging into the wait_queue_head_t lock is
not much (if at all), it'd be better to to peek at the wait_queue_head_t
directly.

> > > What's this do?
> >
> > Really, do we need to comment such trivial code? There is *nothing* that
> > is worth a line of comment in there. IMO useless comment are more annoying
> > than blank lines.
> >

> Look at it from the point of view of someone who knows kernel code but does
> not specifically know this subsystem. That describes the great majority of
> people who will be reading your code.

Okie, I added a comment ;)

> Patch headers are not maintainable.
>
> Nobody wants to have to go off and waddle though the git repo to understand
> the design intent behind each function.

I agree. I thought we were talking about the "poor smuck" having to
document it, and the patch header is a pretty good start (and maybe
finish ;).

- Davide