Re: fs/block_dev.c:953: warning: 'found' might be used uninitialized in this function

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Mar 30 2007 - 15:40:46 EST

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 12:56:59PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> On 3/28/07, Toralf FÃrster <toralf.foerster@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >I compiled current git source 2.6.21-rc5-g28defbe and got this warning:
> >fs/block_dev.c: In function `bd_claim_by_kobject':
> >fs/block_dev.c:953: warning: 'found' might be used uninitialized in this
> >function
> >

> Most of these warnings are really GCC bugs. Please examine the code
> in question.

The word "GCC bugs" is a bit hard for them.

gcc gives different warnings for code where it could prove that a
variable gets used uninitialized and code where it's not sure whether a
variable will always be used initialized.

There are even cases where it's technically impossible for gcc to
determine that a variable always gets initialized.

And these "might be used uninitialized" warnings have already found
several kernel bugs.

> Lee

cu
Adrian