exposing FSB clock speed in /sys

From: Stephane Eranian
Date: Fri Mar 30 2007 - 11:40:14 EST

Hello,

It seems that the kernel does not expose the Front-Side Bus (FSN) Clock
speed to user applications. I found code in the kernel dealing with
frequency scaling that extracts the information for x86 processors but
the value is never exposed.

Knowledge the the FSB speed is very useful to monitoring tools. It is used
to compute certain bus-related metrics.

Looking at the code, it seems that there is no standard way of extracting
the FSB speed. For each processor model, you have different MSRs. I would
think that the routines in the cpufreq code could be moved out and used
as the basis to expose the information somewhere in /sys.

Any comments?

--
-Stephane