Re: [ PATCH] Add suspend/resume for HPET was: Re: [3/6] 2.6.21-rc4:known regressions

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 01:15:03 EST

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Maxim wrote:

> I am sending here a patch that as was discussed here adds hpet to list of system devices
> and adds suspend/resume hooks this way.
> I tested it and it works fine.

Ok, it certainly looks better, but it *also* looks like it just assumes
the HPET is there. Which would work in testing _with_ a HPET, but would
likely break on hardware without one, no?

Shouldn't there be at least something like a

if (!is_hpet_capable())
return 0;

at the top of that init routine? I'd also expect that you'd need to check
that "hpet_virt_address" is valid or something?

(Or, better yet, shouldn't we set "boot_hpet_disable" when we decide not
to use the HPET, and set hpet_virt_address to NULL?)

Linus