Re: [3/6] 2.6.21-rc4: known regressions

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Mar 28 2007 - 12:45:06 EST

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Maxim wrote:

> Now I don't have a clue how to set those bits if only HPET is used as clock source because now clocksources
> don't have _any_ resume hook.

One thing that drives me wild about that "clocksource resume" thing is
that it seems to think that clocksources are somehow different from any
other system devices..

Why isn't the HPET considered a "device", and has it's own *device*
"suspend" and "resume"? Why do we seem to think that only "set_mode()"
etc should wake up clock sources?

It's a *device*, dammit. It should save and resume like one (probably as a
system device). The "set_mode()" etc stuff is at a completely different
(higher) conceptual level.

Thomas? It does seem like Maxim has hit the nail on the head (at least
partly) on the HPET timer resume problems..

Linus