Re: ATA ACPI (was Re: Linux 2.6.21-rc5)

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Mar 27 2007 - 14:48:45 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:
FWIW, I'm still leaning towards disabling libata ACPI support by default for
2.6.21.

Hey, I'm not going to argue against anything that says "disable ACPI". Of *course* it should be disabled if there aren't thousands of machines that are in user hands that actually need it (and none that regress).

It's required to access data at all (BIOS-supplied password [un]locks disk), in a small minority of configurations. It's strongly suggested for reliable suspend/resume, particularly on laptops, where libata ACPI support fixes some suspend/resume problems.

Some BIOSen also want to apply drive+board-specific errata workarounds. That's OK, but ideally we should know about those in the kernel.

"none that regress" is the problem though. Buggy tables, unexercised ACPI code paths, and in a few cases unexpected post-ACPI drive/controller behavior expose regressions.

Anybody want to send me a patch?

Since everybody is OK with my plan, I'll send one today along with the rest of the post-vacation 2.6.21-rc bug fixes.

Jeff