Re: [RFC: 2.6.21 patch] let PCI_MSI depend on EXPERIMENTAL

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Mar 27 2007 - 01:23:24 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
aka. Drivers have started supporting MSI, People have started using
and testing MSI, and there has been MSI maintenance. People care.

Agreed, well put.

The most recent regressions involving MSI have been fixes propagating
their way through the kernel, and I can't think of a one of them
that was MSI specific. Just that the bug didn't happen to show
up clearly without MSI enabled.

Yep.

So default it to off, although I suspect we are approaching the
point where it would actually be safe to default it to on. We
need a kernel release that doesn't have msi issues yet.

Now that we are finally getting a handle on the MSI bumps-in-the-road, IMO it would be counterproductive to default it to 'off' now.

Jeff