Re: HPA patches

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Mar 27 2007 - 01:01:04 EST

Matthew Garrett wrote:
On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 07:13:21PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
+static int ata_ignore_hpa = 0;
+module_param_named(ignore_hpa, ata_ignore_hpa, int, 0644);
+MODULE_PARM_DESC(ignore_hpa, "Ignore HPA (0=off 1=on)");

I'm not sure I like the language here. "Ignore HPA" appears to mean "Explicitly disable the HPA", which I guess is one interpretation of "ignore" - however, naively I'd expect "Ignore HPA" to mean "Don't touch the HPA" with the result that it would remain inaccessible to userspace.

"ignore" sounds more appropriate to me.

We're not just making it inaccessible, we are actively ignoring all traces of its existence everywhere, when that setting is enabled.

Jeff