Re: revert PIE randomization?

From: Kees Cook
Date: Mon Mar 26 2007 - 16:18:28 EST

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 08:01:50PM +0000, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> It was in doing kernel builds that I hit it, nothing special: an
> overnight cycle of kernel building would collapse in a few hours.
> openSUSE 10.2.

I wonder it was the combination of the base addr randomization patch and
something specific to the openSuSE loader that was sparking the
failures? I ran about 22 million execs on Ubuntu Feisty (patched to
re-include the base addr randomization), with a PIE bash, and never saw
it. Hmpf.

> Andi would tell definitively, but I guess it's merely that with so
> much more address space to play with, x86_64 can divide up that space
> more satisfactorily.
>
> But don't be misled: try "ulimit -s unlimited" and I expect you'll
> find i386 allocating mmap addresses (hence libraries) from the
> opposite end, below ELF_ET_DYN_BASE.

Is there any explicitly documented per-arch "here is the memory layout
of a process"? I haven't been able to find anything like this. I
suspect it would be a good reference to have; so if no one has any
hints, I'll try to get something written up.

--
Kees Cook @outflux.net