Re: [2.6.22 patch] more scheduled OSS driver removal

From: Richard Knutsson
Date: Mon Mar 26 2007 - 03:38:01 EST

Lee Revell wrote:
On 3/25/07, Richard Knutsson <ricknu-0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Adrian Bunk wrote:
> This patch contains the scheduled removal of OSS drivers that:
> - have ALSA drivers for the same hardware without known regressions and
> - whose Kconfig options have been removed in 2.6.20.

Sorry for this late respond

Is sound/oss/emu10k1/ really ready to be replaced? According to a friend
of mine, who got the hardware, the ALSA still lacks feature provided by
the OSS-driver. He mentioned some sort of programmable memory (forgot
the name for that) with whom you can run small programs to manipulate
the sounds (adding echo and such).

He's referring to EMU DSP manager. (emudspmgr I think it's called).
The ALSA equivalent is ld10k1. It might not be as mature as the OSS
equivalent, but are we really going to keep obsolete drivers in the
kernel just because the userspace tools for the old driver are more
mature?
Good! I forward that info to him.
BTW, I did not mean to suggest we keep the OSS instead of ALSA. Just voiced if it is _ready_ to be replaced. But since there is no regression report filed (believed he already made one) I will pipe down :)

Also, he got problems with getting
more accurate control of the volume (guess this is more a userland issue).
He seems to have done his homework but only got to pages where other
peoples had the same problem.

I guess he's referring to the well known "Master volume only controls
front output" problem. This really does need to be resolved, as many
other ALSA drivers are effected.
<rant_mode=on>
Isn't this quite a basic feature?! Is there somewhere to monitor the progress on this?
<rant_mode=off>

Thanks for your help!
Richard Knutsson