Re: [2.6.22 patch] more scheduled OSS driver removal

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Mar 25 2007 - 21:48:42 EST

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 03:26:19AM +0200, Richard Knutsson wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >This patch contains the scheduled removal of OSS drivers that:
> >- have ALSA drivers for the same hardware without known regressions and
> >- whose Kconfig options have been removed in 2.6.20.
> >
> Sorry for this late respond
>
> Is sound/oss/emu10k1/ really ready to be replaced? According to a friend
> of mine, who got the hardware, the ALSA still lacks feature provided by
> the OSS-driver. He mentioned some sort of programmable memory (forgot
> the name for that) with whom you can run small programs to manipulate
> the sounds (adding echo and such). Also, he got problems with getting
> more accurate control of the volume (guess this is more a userland issue).
> He seems to have done his homework but only got to pages where other
> peoples had the same problem.

Which bug numbers in the ALSA bugtracking system [1] are these?

If there are regressions in an ALSA driver compared to the corresponding
OSS driver, the goal is to get the ALSA driver fixed.

Current number of regressions in the ALSA emu10k1 driver people gave me
numbers of open ALSA bugs for:
0

> If this is really implemented, please let me know so I can forward it to
> him.

You can monitor the bugs in the ALSA bugtracking system describing the
problems your friend has.

> Thanks and good night
> Richard Knutsson

cu