Re: [BUG] __copy_to_user_inatomic broken on non Pentium machines

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Mar 25 2007 - 14:19:21 EST

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> Environment: Pre Pentium systems, (boot_cpu_data.wp_works_ok == 0)

This shouldn't be "pre-pentium", afaik. WP-works-ok on i486 too. I think
only the original i386 had this bug ("feature").

But I agree, it does seem to be broken on such machines (I assume you
don't actually have one, but just tested by forcing it by hand ;)

> Now __copy_to_user_ll() takes the (boot_cpu_data.wp_works_ok == 0) path,
> which in turn calls
>
> down_read(current->mm->mmap_sem) - which might sleep
>
> and
>
> get_user_pages() - which has a cond_resched() inside.
>
> Not sure how to fix that.

I agree. Nasty. But the thing is, it's actually much worse. We use
"__put_user()" earlier to try to fault it in writably, and that one is
totally broken on a CPU where wp_works_ok isn't set.

The whole notion that we should do this at access time is broken.

We should go back to doing it at "access_ok()", or we should just state
that we don't support original-i386 CPU's any more. As it is, we don't do
it right *anyway*, since we only do the tests properly in
__copy_to_user(), and totally miss them in __put_user() and friends.

So it's buggy on i386 however you try to fix it. The only way to fix it
properly is to move the i386 fixup early, into "access_ok()", the way it
used to be.

Linus