Re: [patch] cache pipe buf page address for non-highmem arch

From: Ken Chen
Date: Fri Mar 23 2007 - 21:02:31 EST

On 3/23/07, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think you're fixing the symptom here and not the cause. If calculating
the virtual address of a page is so expensive on your setup it should
define WANT_PAGE_VIRTUAL and we should always cache the virtual address
in struct page. There's a lot more code, epecially in filesystems that's
rather upset about a slow page_address.

Adding WANT_PAGE_VIRTUAL would be too costly I think as it will expand
the sizeof struct page. I would rather go incremental fix on these
issues and not blindly increase page struct size.