Re: [rfc][patch] queued spinlocks (i386)

From: Parag Warudkar
Date: Fri Mar 23 2007 - 12:50:06 EST

Nick Piggin <npiggin <at> suse.de> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 11:04:18AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > * Nick Piggin <npiggin <at> suse.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Implement queued spinlocks for i386. [...]
> >
> > isnt this patented by MS? (which might not worry you SuSE/Novell guys,
> > but it might be a worry for the rest of the world
>
> I never thought a FIFO queue would be patentable.
>
> Do you have a reference to the patent number?

The ReactOS guys none the less, seem to have implemented queued spin locks -
http://www.reactos.org/en/newsletter_10.html (see the HAL section.)

Now I haven't looked at the code to see if they are different from what MS has
patented but given that it's a clone of Windows, one would think at least from
the behavioral pov they are similar?

Parag