Re: [1/6] 2.6.21-rc4: known regressions

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Mar 23 2007 - 08:29:11 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [ Ok, I think it's those timers again...

agreed - this seems to be a genuine CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y bug. (which
has probably not been fixed since -rc4 either, we have no bugfix in this
area that could explain the expires_next==KTIME_MAX timer state visible
in SysRq-Q.)

there seems to be a trend in the reports: HT P4 CPUs.

> Ingo: let me just state how *happy* I am that I told you off when
> you wanted to merge the hires timers and NO_HZ before 2.6.20 because
> they were "stable". You were wrong, and 2.6.20 is at least in
> reasonable shape. [...]

yes - i was quite wrong pushing it so hard. (and doubly so given your
stated focus of making v2.6.20 a quiet release) Sorry :-/

> [...] Now we just need to make sure that 2.6.21 will be too.. ]

yeah - we are working hard on it.

Ingo