Re: [1/6] 2.6.21-rc4: known regressions

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Mar 23 2007 - 07:43:59 EST

there's a new post-rc4 regression: my T60 hangs during early bootup. I
bisected the hang down to this recent commit:

| commit 25496caec111481161e7f06bbfa12a533c43cc6f
| Author: Thomas Renninger <trenn@xxxxxxx>
| Date: Tue Feb 27 12:13:00 2007 -0500
|
| ACPI: Only use IPI on known broken machines (AMD, Dothan/BaniasPentium M)

undoing this change fixes my T60 so it correctly boots again.

the commit has this confidence-raising comment:

| However, I am not sure about the naming of the parameter and how it
| could/should get integrated into the dyntick part
| (CONFIG_GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS). There, a more fine grained check (TSC
| still running?, ..) is needed?

could we please revert this commit until it's done correctly?

and did this end up being a 'fix'? The change weakens the scope of a
hardware workaround, which IMO has no place so late in the cycle. At a
minimum the clockevents maintainer (Thomas) should have been Cc:-ed on
it.

Ingo