Re: sysfs q [was: sysfs ugly timer interface]

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Fri Mar 23 2007 - 02:06:09 EST

On Mar 22 2007 21:48, Greg KH wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 02:24:46AM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> On Mar 22 2007 08:28, Greg KH wrote:
>>
>> Question regarding sysfs files: How would you do something like
>> /proc/net/nf_conntrack with sysfs? Have directories named like 0000,
>> 0001, 0002, ..?
>
>I don't know, I've never said that _all_ proc files can move to sysfs.
>For some things, like possibly the netfilter stuff, proc files make
>more sense.

But proc is for procs. (At least its name indicates.)

>Were you thinking of moving this file to sysfs?

No, not that one. But new modules. Everyone says "please no new /proc
files"[some examples, 1,2]. On the other hand,

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/1/21/34
[2] http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/2/3/285

>>> Now... this file needs to die, before 2.6.21 is released. It tries to
>>> bring /proc-like parsing nightmare to sysfs. Kill it before it becomes
>>> part of stable ABI!

when there's a proc-style multi-line file like that clockevents thing in
sysfs, people raise objections too (see above), which leads me to the
question: if neither procfs nor sysfs are appropriate for such files,
what is?

>What does the information in it represent?

A list of the currently tracked connections.

Jan