Re: [BUG] no boot with 2.6.21-rc3 and later

From: Bob Tracy
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 15:40:11 EST

john stultz wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 13:14 -0600, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > john stultz wrote:
> > > Try this patch and let me know if it does the right thing.
> >
> > Will do. I'll report back in a few hours.
> >
> > > Although I do
> > > still need to dig a bit on the PIT hang issue.
> >
> > Any chance this might be related to the APIC issues currently being
> > discussed in other threads?
>
> Hmmm. Good thought, I'll have to look into it. It could be that if the
> PIT is disabled in favor of the local apic, we'll have to make sure its
> not being used as a clocksource.

According to the dmesg output, the local apic is disabled in the BIOS on
this system, and I'm not booting with "lapic" to enable it.

Anyway, the "few hours" turned out to be more like a few minutes :-).
The patch worked as far as selecting/installing the acpi_pm clocksource
instead of the pit clocksource, and there was no hang during boot. If
you would like to see the dmesg output, let me know and I'll forward it
to you in a separate message.