2.6.21-rc3-mm2: KDE processes die while system is idle

From: Tilman Schmidt
Date: Wed Mar 21 2007 - 18:36:45 EST

On a SuSE 10.0 system running kernel 2.6.21-rc3-mm2, it has now
happened for the 4th time that I came back after a couple of hours
to find that all KDE processes of the session I had left running had
died. The X server and applications (2x konsole, emacs, ksysguard)
were still running, but the K menu, dashboard and window decorations
had vanished, and window manager functionality was unavailable.
Running ps from an ssh connection confirmed that of the processes
that should normally be running, kdeinit and all processes labelled
"[kdeinit]" were missing.

No non-X processes are affected. The syslog contains no hint of
anything wrong. If I kill the X server with alt/ctrl/Bksp and log
in to a new KDE session, all is well again.

This has never happened with mainline or previous -mm kernels, so
I'm led to believe that it is tied to some change in 2.6.21-rc3-mm2.

Unfortunately the effect is not easily reproduced. So far it only
happened when I left the machine running logged in but idle,
sometimes after a few hours, but sometimes not even after two days.
So bisecting appears impractical.

I'll try 2.6.21-rc4-mm1 next.

Ideas?

--