Re: Why is /dev on a different filesystem ? [Kernel 2.6.20.3]

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Wed Mar 21 2007 - 16:58:49 EST

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 19:13, Paul Rolland wrote:
> So, obviously, /dev is on /, but the stat(2) says no.
> Who is right, and where is the bug ?
>
> Kernel 2.4 had it right : /dev was on /, no doubt.

Some distros will mount tmpfs over /dev so that a minimal "real dev" can be
provided as a fallback, but udev can add and remove nodes from /dev ad hoc
during regular runtime. So I don't think there's a bug and I don't think
anything is lying.

If you want the dev your distro gave you, just mount your rootfs on another
mount point in read-only and run tar over that instead.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.