Re: [patch 4/6] mm: merge populate and nopage into fault (fixes nonlinear)

From: Blaisorblade
Date: Wed Mar 21 2007 - 15:46:27 EST

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 07:00, Nick Piggin wrote:

> > > Yes, that should be the case. So would this mean that nonlinear
> > > protections don't work on regular files?

> > They still work in most cases (including for UML), but if the initial
> > mmap() specified PROT_WRITE, that is ignored, for pages which are not
> > remapped via remap_file_pages(). UML uses PROT_NONE for the initial mmap,
> > so that's no problem.

> But how are you going to distinguish a write fault on a readonly pte for
> dirty page accounting vs a read-only nonlinear protection?

Hmm... I was only thinking to PTEs which hadn't been remapped via
remap_file_pages, but just faulted in with initial mmap() protection.

For the other PTEs, however, I overlooked that the current code ignores
vma_wants_writenotify(), i.e. breaks dirty page accounting for them, and I
refused to even consider this opportunity, even without knowing the purposes
of dirty pages accounting (I found the commits explaining this however).

> You can't store any more data in a present pte AFAIK, so you'd have to
> have some out of band data. At which point, you may as well just forget
> about vma_wants_writenotify vmas, considering that everybody is using
> shmem/ramfs.

I was going to do that anyway. I'd guess that I should just disallow in
remap_file_pages() the VM_MANYPROTS (i.e. MAP_CHGPROT in flags) &&
vma_wants_writenotify() combination, right? Ok, trivial (shouldn't even have
pointed this out).
--
Inform me of my mistakes, so I can add them to my list!
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade