Re: [BUG 2.6.21-rc3-git9] SATA NCQ failure with Samsum HD401LJ

From: Christian
Date: Wed Mar 21 2007 - 10:38:54 EST

On Monday 19 March 2007 08:39:15 Tejun Heo wrote:
> Christian wrote:
> > Yes, for me the problem was introduced recently. I have moved around
> > terabytes (sic!) on my discs with older kernels and I never got errors.
>
> There is always the possibility of disk going bad, so it would be great
> if you can boot an older kernel and verify that the problem doesn't
> occur on it.
>
> Thanks.

I've tested multiple kernels (including -mm series) in the range of 2.6.19.7
(before sata_nv adma support went in) up to 2.6.20-rc4.
Every NCQ enabled kernel I've tested showed ata errors in dmesg. So I came to
the conclusion that my system was faulty. I ran memtest86+ for a long time,
but no errors were found. After some fiddling with my HW I discovered that
the nforce chipset fan induced some kind of electro magnetic interference to
the southbridge, which could clearly be heard as a low frequency noise if I
plugged in my speakers to the onboard sound. After replacing the fan, my
system is stable again. Now running 2.6.21-rc3-mm2+rsdlv31 without errors.
Really strange problem he ;-)

-Christian