Re: AIO, FIO and Threads ...

From: Davide Libenzi
Date: Wed Mar 21 2007 - 02:55:06 EST

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> I was looking at Jens FIO stuff, and I decided to cook a quick patch for
> FIO to support GUASI (Generic Userspace Asyncronous Syscall Interface):
>
> http://www.xmailserver.org/guasi-lib.html
>
> I then ran a few tests on my Dual Opteron 252 with SATA drives (sata_nv)
> and 8GB of RAM.
> Mind that I'm not FIO expert, like at all, but I got some interesting
> results when comparing GUASI with libaio at 8/1000/10000 depths.
> If I read those result correctly (Jens may help), GUASI output is more
> then double the libaio one.
> Lots of context switches, yes. But the throughput looks like 2+ times.
> Can someone try to repeat the measures and/or spot the error?
> Or tell me which other tests to run?
> This is kinda a suprise for me ...

Tests with block sizes bigger than 4KB bring libaio performance close to
GUASI, but not quite:

http://www.xmailserver.org/guasi-libaio-fio-results-1.txt

I dropped the last FIO+GUASI patch here:

http://www.xmailserver.org/fio-guasi-0.5.diff

And Jens FIO is here:

http://brick.kernel.dk/snaps/

- Davide