Re: 2.6.21-rc4-mm1 + 3 hot-fixes -- WARNING: could not find versions for .tmp_versions/built-in.mod

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Tue Mar 20 2007 - 17:27:40 EST

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 07:35:06AM -0700, Miles Lane wrote:
> It looks like the number of section mismatches is much reduced, which
> is great. But, I don't remember seeing "WARNING: could not find
> versions for ..." warnings before. Is this an artifact of the
> init/.missing_syscalls.h problem I encountered earlier?
>
> MODPOST vmlinux
> WARNING: could not find versions for .tmp_versions/head.mod
> WARNING: could not find versions for .tmp_versions/init_task.mod
> WARNING: init/built-in.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:
> from .text between 'rest_init' (at offset 0x101) and 'try_name'
I do not see this one - but then I do not build the -mm tree.
Will chase it later if no-one beats me.

> WARNING: could not find versions for .tmp_versions/built-in.mod
> WARNING: could not find versions for .tmp_versions/built-in.mod
> WARNING: could not find versions for .tmp_versions/built-in.mod
> WARNING: could not find versions for .tmp_versions/built-in.mod
> WARNING: could not find versions for .tmp_versions/built-in.mod
> WARNING: could not find versions for .tmp_versions/built-in.mod
> WARNING: mm/built-in.o - Section mismatch: reference to
> .init.text:__alloc_bootmem_node from .text between 'sparse_init' (at
> offset 0x15c8f) and '__section_nr'
I took a look at this one.
You have SPARSEMEM enabled in your config.
And then I see that in sparse.c we call alloc_bootmem_node()
from a function I thought should be marked __devinit (it
is used by memory_hotplug.c).
But I am not familiar enough to judge if __alloc_bootmen_node
are marked correct with __init or __devinit (to say
this is used in the HOTPLUG case) is more correct.
Anyone?

> WARNING: mm/built-in.o - Section mismatch: reference to
> .init.text:__alloc_bootmem_node from .text between 'sparse_init' (at
> offset 0x15d02) and '__section_nr'
Same as above....

> WARNING: mm/built-in.o - Section mismatch: reference to
> .init.data:initkmem_list3 from .text between 'set_up_list3s' (at
> offset 0x18c32) and 's_start'
This one I have also tried to track down. But my
slab knowledge was not enough to fix it :-(

Sam