Re: [patch 00/31] 2.6.20-stable review

From: Michael Krufky
Date: Tue Mar 20 2007 - 16:15:35 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 March 2007, Greg KH wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 01:15:02AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> In any event, something tickled the monster, and its hungry. This is
>>> a full-stop, show-stopper AFAIAC.
>>>
>>> I'll cut that patch-2.6.20.4-rc1 in halves, and build 2 more test
>>> kernels tomorrow to start a bisect if no one has any better idea
>>> before then.
>> I'd recommend using the quilt tree of patches to do this, it will be
>> easier than trying to split the larger patch up into pieces by hand.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> greg k-h
>
> I don't have quilt installed, and no idea how to use it if it was, Greg.
> Even my git is now pushing a year old.

Gene-

quilt is a very easy tool to use... Here is a quick run-down.

#1) remove the stable -rc patch from the tree

#2) install quilt

#3) go to your source tree, and create a directory called "patches"

#4) copy all of the patches from Greg's queue into that "patches" directory,
including the "series" file.

#5) quilt push, to apply the first patch
quilt push, to apply the second patch (you get the idea)
quilt push -a , to apply all patches in the series

#6) quilt pop, to back out the most recent patch pushed in
quilt pop -a to back out the entire series.

If a patch doesnt apply, quilt will let you know about it, and present you with
the option to force the patch to apply. This is highly unlikely to occur, since
Greg has already done what needs to be done to make these patches apply to the
source.

For a better explanation, see "man quilt". Using quilt, when you have a list of
patches and a series file containing the merge order is *much* easier that a git
bisection, and can help you to find the problem patch much quicker.

I hope this helps...

Good Luck,

Michael Krufky