Re: BSOD

From: Paul Mackerras
Date: Tue Mar 20 2007 - 16:02:29 EST

David Miller writes:

> Mode setting is complex and it is not going to work exactly when you
> need the kernel crash message the most.

It's a matter of writing maybe a dozen MMIO registers on the ATI
chips, for instance, with some delays. Provided we have interrupts
disabled and udelay still works, there's not a lot of the kernel that
we need to rely on to do that.

> After debugging the kernel for 10+ years I can tell you one thing, for
> a bad crash what's going to happen is you'll get the printk but that's
> about all that will work at that point, and the kernel is going to
> hang next. Sometimes you won't get the whole panic message, just
> the beginning, even with the most simplistic printk implementation.
>
> You will not, I repeat, will not be able to mode switch or anything
> non-trivial like that when the kernel is in this state.
>
> Mode switching on panic, just say no. :-)

Anything is better than nothing. At the moment we get nothing if you
are in X when the panic occurs, even for the nicest, most well-behaved
panics. :) If we can change that to getting something sometimes,
that's a win.

Paul.