Multiple instances of program sharing same text segment ?

From: Ravinandan Arakali \(rarakali\)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2007 - 13:48:18 EST

Hi,
We have multiple instances of the same executable running on our system.
Do these instances share the text segment or are there multiple copies
of the text segment(one for each process) ? Note that I am not talking
about the shared libraries.
I note that do_exec calls do_mmap to map the executable file to memory.
But not sure what happens(w.r.t text sharing) when another instance of
the program is invoked. BTW, this is 2.6.10.

Thanks,
Ravi