Re: [patch 13/26] Xen-paravirt_ops: Consistently wrap paravirt opscallsites to make them patchable

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Mar 20 2007 - 12:08:51 EST

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> If that is the case. In the normal kernel what would
> the "the oops, we got an interrupt code do?"
> I assume it would leave interrupts disabled when it returns?
> Like we currently do with the delayed disable of normal interrupts?

Yeah, disable interrupts, and set a flag that the fake "sti" can test, and
just return without doing anything.

(You may or may not also need to do extra work to Ack the hardware
interrupt etc, which may be irq-controller specific. Once the CPU has
accepted the interrupt, you may not be able to just leave it dangling)

But I was throwing that out as a long-term thing. I'm not claiming it's
trivial, but it should be doable.

Linus