Re: RSDL v0.31

From: Ray Lee
Date: Tue Mar 20 2007 - 11:17:23 EST

On 3/20/07, Mark Lord <lkml@xxxxxx> wrote:
I've droppped it from my machine -- interactive response is much
more important for my primary machine right now.

Help out with a data point? Are you running KDE as well? If you are,
then it looks like the common denominator that RSDL is handling poorly
is client-server communication. (KDE's KIO slaves in this case, but X
in general.)

If so, one would hope that a variation on Linus's 2.5.63 pipe wakeup
pass-the-interactivity idea could work here. The problem with that
original patch, IIRC, was that a couple of tasks could bounce their
interactivity bonus back and forth and thereby starve others. Which
might be expected given there was no 'decaying' of the interactivity
bonus, which means you can make a feedback loop.

Anyway, looks like processes that do A -> B -> A communication chains
are getting penalized under RSDL. In which case, perhaps I can make a
test case that exhibits the problem without having to have the same
graphics card or desktop as you.

Ray