Re: is RSDL an "unfair" scheduler too?

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 12:37:58 EST

Helge Hafting wrote:
Avi Kivity wrote:

A fairly contrived example, but I see your point. Of course any system can be broken. I think that user-level scheduling is good for real multi user systems, where 'user' means a person, not an artificial entity. It's also good for a multi application server, where typically each service runs (or can be made to run) as a separate user.
For a not so contrived example, look at email delivery. Some mailservers do
all work as root (or some fixed email user)

Some servers will switch to the UID of the user receiving the message, limiting the
damage in case of buffer overflow etc. A fair amount of work is then done
as that user - running the message through virus/spam-checks and
then perhaps procmail.

Actually that makes some sense with user level scheduling - delivering email is charged to the recipient instead of to the system. But I agree it's a surprising side effect and if this is ever implemented it should be optional.