Re: 2.6.20*: PATA DMA timeout, hangs (2)

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 04:22:51 EST

Alistair John Strachan wrote:
On Monday 12 March 2007 13:25, Frank van Maarseveen wrote:
[snip]
So, are /dev/hd* going to disappear in a few years? iow, does it make
sense to _slowly_ start to migrate to /dev/sd*?

How would you propose doing this? I'm sure modern distros with an initrd/initramfs probably already do some sort of root detection. Doesn't fix the fstab issue, but I suppose this could be auto-generated too.

The problem is there's no plan B in case of any troubles except rename
everything back again to boot an old kernel.

I doubt this matters for distributors, as they'll simply switch over when you upgrade the distro, and the earliest supported kernel will be the one that shipped with the newer version.

I accept that it's a bit of a drag, but it's better to have a standard naming convention for all disks, isn't it?

The solution is quite simple. Use the LABEL= trick or other methods to uniquely identify the partition regardless how it's connected. Most modern distributions are already doing this.

--
tejun