Re: whence CONFIG_PROVE_SPIN_LOCKING?

From: Robert P. J. Day
Date: Sun Mar 18 2007 - 17:34:48 EST

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Jiri Kosina wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > $ grep -r PROVE_SPIN_LOCKING *
> > Documentation/irqflags-tracing.txt:CONFIG_TRACE_IRQFLAGS_SUPPORT is needed for CONFIG_PROVE_SPIN_LOCKING
> > kernel/spinlock.c:#ifdef CONFIG_PROVE_SPIN_LOCKING
>
> This should almost certainly be CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING ... ?

actually, no, i found this web page:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0606.0/0527.html

which refers to a number of related "PROVE" options. what their
status is these days is not clear, but i'm just pointing out that
someone is testing the one above when it can't possibly be set
anywhere.

rday

p.s. just FYI, i ran my "find dead CONFIG variables" script on the
entire tree and, as we speak, there are 316 preprocessor tests that
are testing variables of the form "CONFIG_whatever" for which that
option is not set anywhere in the tree. (that is, 316 distinct
variables, not just 316 distinct tests.) see the attached script and
feel free to run it from the top of the tree on your favourite
directory or sub-directory.

i'm not saying every one of those examples represents an error. some
of those might be set in a makefile, etc. but it's enlghtening to run
it anyway to see the output.

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page