Kernel 2.6.20 does not work anymore with SCSI or SATA on old Opteron/ Xeon servers

From: Stefan Priebe
Date: Sun Mar 18 2007 - 16:57:47 EST

Hello!

We've a very strange Problem with Kernel 2.6.20.x

If i try to access a SCSI or SATA Disk (tested with Adaptec U320 ASC-29320, ICP Vortex 9024, Promise TX300) the whole server hangs - no output - no error on the screen - but it hangs completely. But it does not happen on all our systems affected are only old 604pin xeons and socket 940 Opterons. Socket F Opteron or 771 Xeons does work fine.

I've also testet apci=off pci=routeirq but both does not help. The systems work fine with 2.6.19.x and before.

Stefan