Re: Loading both the pata_atiixp and the ahci driver causes problems

From: Jon Masters
Date: Sun Mar 18 2007 - 02:29:20 EST

Tejun Heo wrote:
Jon Masters wrote:
Chuck Ebbert wrote:

If you try to load both the pata_atiixp and the ahci driver
(for the same ATI SB600 adapter), very strange things happen.
The AHCI driver churns for three minutes or so, spewing
messages like this, then nothing works:

<6>ata3: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
<4>ata3.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
<4>ata3.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x104)
Shouldn't it be able to tell the device has already been
claimed by some other driver?
One would assume it'd fail to grab the PCI IO ranges twice? I haven't
looked at the code but I have seen this bug mentioned elsewhere so I
might well end up having to do that yet :-)

Dunno much about sb600 but ahci and pata_atiixp are probably using
separate IO regions && separate PCI functions.

Yeah. I actually thought about this whole issue a bit more recently - things like SATA/PATA interference when you've got a part that emulates legacy functionality so can appear as two different kinds of device - since I don't think my brain was really bothering to listen before. Words were going in, but it chose to ignore what was being said.

Only thing that comes to mind is in-driver logic/driver loading ordering hack combinations. At least if you've got loadable modules, you've got a fighting chance of fixing this kind of situation - built-in and you need to fight with whatever ordering exists in the array of init functions.

Jon.

P.S. Guess this means I need to admit I was wrong and apologize to Zaitcev sometime too in relation to another discussion...bah :P