Re: RSDL v0.31

From: Stephen Clark
Date: Sat Mar 17 2007 - 13:22:33 EST

Mark Hahn wrote:

So in an attempt to summarise the situation, what are the advantages of RSDL
over mainline.

Fairness

why do you think fairness is good, especially always good?

Starvation free

even starvation is sometimes a good thing - there's a place for processes
that only use the CPU if it is otherwise idle. that is, they are
deliberately starved all the rest of the time.

Much lower and bound latencies

in an average sense? also, under what circumstances does this actually
matter? (please don't offer something like RT audio on an overloaded machine-
that's operator error, not something to design for.)

Deterministic

not a bad thing, but how does this make itself apparent and of value to the user? I think everyone is extremely comfortable with non-determinism
(stemming from networks, caches, interleaved workloads, etc)

Better interactivity for the majority of cases.

how is this measured? is this statement really just a reiteration of the latency claim?

Now concentrating on the very last aspect since that seems to be the sticking
point.

nah, I think the fairness and latency claims are the real issues.

I guess I wonder what is wrong with the current scheduler? I am running 2.6.20.2 on a whitebook
laptop with a core 2 duo 1.86ghz 2gb of mem with an intel 945 shared memory graphics processor.
I am currently running X with beryl have vncserver connected to my main system, which I am
using to write this email, I am running also firefox and both of ingo test programs. I also am running
a make -j4 on a kernel rebuild without having any pauses or any problem doing anything interactively.

So again what does this new scheduler fix?

Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)