Re: Linux 2.6.21-rc4

From: Michal Piotrowski
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 19:32:14 EST

On 17/03/07, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mar 16 2007 19:55, Michal Piotrowski wrote:
>> > I've got *bad* news. Bug described here
>> > http: //www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0703.0/index.html#0889
>> > http: //www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0703.0/index.html#1165
>> > probably leaked into mainline.
>> >
>> > Fsck!
>>
>> fsck indeed. I don't even understand what's happening with that one - it
>> seems like the kernel schedules a user process, but never deschedules it
>> again.
>>

> Tomorrow, I'll try to find out how to reproduce this bug.

From #0889:

"I have noticed some strange system behavior. When i try to build a
kernel (medium load) - X, keyboard, mouse and sound hangs."

Note that ping is handled in interrupt or softirq context. So something has
locked up. Try without X? Or perhaps attack a serial console/netconsole, and
when it hangs, use Sysrq to dump the process' states.

I already did this
http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/tbf/bitis-gabonica/2.6.21-rc4/git-console.log

Jan
--