Re: Conflict between ide and usb?

From: Mark Lord
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 16:24:18 EST

John Coppens wrote:
Hi all.

I installed ueagle-atm, which, by itself, is working fine with an MT-810 modem.

The problem I have, is that when I copy a file from a DVD to harddisk,
the internet connection almost dies (it slows down terribly, so much so
that established connections actually disconnect, ping looses packets,
DNS lookup fails, etc). After copy ends, all returns to normal.

The machine is an AMD64, still in x86 mode though. CPU activity is very
low during the copy, so it's not a CPU problem. Kernel is 2.6.20.2. APIC
is enabled. No error message found in either /var/log/messages or syslog.
DVD and HD are on different IDE interfaces.

Can anyone suggest where to start looking for a solution?
..
16: 2591 1737056 IO-APIC-fasteoi libata, HDA Intel
17: 41 1 IO-APIC-fasteoi libata, ehci_hcd:usb2
..

It pretty much has to be an IRQ sharing issue,
most likely in the USB driver side of the house.

I don't know enough about the USB drivers really,
but the interrupt routine inside the ueagle-atm.c file
doesn't seem too "sharing friendly". But perhaps that
part is handled by the layers above (?).

That's where I'd start looking if I were you.

-ml