Re: [BUG 2.6.21-rc3-git9] SATA NCQ failure with Samsum HD401LJ

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 09:57:02 EST

(linux-ide cc'ed)

Max Kellermann wrote:
Hi,

I have been trying to upgrade my 2.6.19 kernel for a while now,
without success. All kernel versions since 2.6.20 failed with a
timeout while trying to write to my SATA hard disk. After I wait for
a while (during which all I/O to the hard disk blocks), the kernel
message "NCQ disabled due to excessive errors" appears, and the system
seems to work perfectly.

My system is an Athlon64 X2 on an Asus A8N-Premium. I'm using the
sata_nv driver for the on-board SATA controller. My only hard disk is
a Samsum HD401LJ (400 GB).

The kernel is build statically, and the only module is nvidia.ko. If
someone believes it may make a difference, I can try the kernel
without the proprietary module.

Please see the kernel config and dmesg attached to this email.

I don't know the libata subsystem well, but I suspect my hard drive
has to be added to the NCQ blacklist.

Max

This does indeed look like a drive side issue to me (the controller is reporting CPBs with response flags 2 which as far as I can tell indicates it's still waiting for the drive to complete the request).

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx