Re: 2.6.21-rc suspend regression: sysfs deadlock

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Thu Mar 15 2007 - 12:29:24 EST

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Alan Stern wrote:

> Personally I don't understand what was wrong with my name. What's weird
> or unintuitive about doing something in a different task's context?

The only thing wrong with sysfs_do_something_in_a_different_task_context()
is the length of the name. "do", that's good, much better than "access".

sysfs_access_in_other_task() left me wondering what this "other" task
was, and what kind of "access" it's trying to get - or is the calling
task the other, and it's trying to access something it wouldn't
directly have access to?

> Dmitry's suggestion is slightly inappropriate because the function doesn't
> take a workstruct as an argument and it isn't itself a workqueue callback.

True, though since he's saying "work" rather than "workstruct",
I was okay with that: it's a sysfs wrapper to schedule_work().

> Would people be happier with sysfs_schedule_callback() and
> device_schedule_callback()? At least the functions do take a callback
> pointer as an argument, even though they aren't callbacks themselves.

A lot happier than with sysfs_access_in_other_task() -
if you prefer this to Dmitry's, it's okay by me.

Hugh