Re: kbuild question

From: Kumar Gala
Date: Thu Mar 15 2007 - 11:23:29 EST

On Feb 18, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

Sure, on powerpc for some of the embedded sub-architectures you can only
select a single board to build for. For a lot of people this is sufficient,
however we are moving towards a world where you can easily build in support
for multiple boards into a single kernel.

I'd like to have it such that if I'm only building support for one board
(CONFIG_ONLY_HAVE_ONE, not going to call it that, but for this discussion its
sufficient), you get a choice menu from Kconfig enforcing the ability to only
select one board. However if !CONFIG_ONLY_HAVE_ONE than you can select
multiple boards to build into your kernel.

if CONFIG_ONLY_HAVE_ONE is set we can optimize out the runtime checks that get
added for handling the multiple board case.

On m68k we have the same problem, but what I'm what I'm considering is to
add a new mode for choice groups - at least one must be selected and
kconfig generates the extra information if only one is selected.

How about extendign the current 'option' syntax to do this?
So we could do something like:

choice
prompt "choice prompt"
default VAL_FIRST
option multivalue if !CONFIG_ONLY_HAVE_ONE

config VAL_FIRST
bool "first"

config VAL_SECOND
bool "second"

endchoice

It seems to fit well with how option is used today, and extends current
syntax nicely.

This works for me, however I dont have the first clue about hacking on kconfig code.

I'm happy to test out a patch if one of you guys wouldn't mind working something up.. or point me and what I should look at to do this.

- k