Re: _proxy_pda still makes linking modules fail

From: Paul Mackerras
Date: Tue Mar 13 2007 - 19:50:32 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge writes:

> Or do you mean that if you have:
>
> preempt_disable();
> use_my_percpu++;
> preempt_enable();
> // switch cpus
> preempt_disable();
> use_my_percpu++;
> preempt_enable();
>
> then it will still use the old pointer to use_my_percpu?

Yes. It can, and sometimes does. There's no way (that I know of) to
tell gcc "all my __thread variables might have moved to a different
address".

> In principle gcc could CSE the value of smp_processor_id() across a cpu
> change in the same way.

There it's easier to make gcc do what we want, because we can use a
barrier or a volatile. The difference is that smp_processor_id() is
ultimately the value of something, not the address of something. We
can tell gcc "values might have changed" but have no way to say
"addresses might have changed".

Paul.