Re: sys_write() racy for multi-threaded append?

From: Michael K. Edwards
Date: Tue Mar 13 2007 - 19:41:22 EST

On 3/13/07, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michael, please stop spreading this utter bullshit _now_. You're so
full of half-knowledge that it's not funny anymore, and you try
to insult people knowing a few magniutes more than you left and right.

Thank you Christoph for that informative response to my comments. I
take it that you consider read_write.c to be code of the highest
quality and maintainability. If you have something specific in mind
when you write "utter bullshit" and "half-knowledge", I'd love to hear
it.

Now, for those who still care to respond as if improving the kernel
were a goal that you and I can share, a question: When
generic_file_llseek needs the inode in order to retrieve the current
file size, it goes through f_mapping (the pagecache entry?) rather
than through f_path.dentry (the dentry cache?). All other inode
retrievals in read_write.c go through f_path.dentry. Why? Or is this
a question that can only be asked on linux-fsdevel?

Cheers,
- Michael