Re: module.h and moduleparam.h: more header file pedantry

From: Alexey Dobriyan
Date: Tue Mar 13 2007 - 18:05:40 EST

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 12:59:20PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> to my surprise, i learned only today that module.h includes
> moduleparam.h, which flies in the face of all of the documentation
> i've ever read which was adamant that i *had* to include moduleparam.h
> if i was using parameters. i'm guessing this comes as a surprise to
> the 400+ header files which include both unnecessarily.
>
> so ... in a perfect world, should a module source file that doesn't
> use parameters *at all* need to include moduleparam.h?

Probably not.

> as it stands
> now, yes, it does, given some ugly inter-dependencies between the two
> files.
>
> so, at the very least, programmers can stop including moduleparam.h,
> unless there's a cleaner way to do all that.

Regardless, of what you'll do: cross-compile test!

After aforementioned removal and adding "struct kernel_param;"

+ akmk arm-assabet -k
CHK include/linux/version.h
make[2]: `include/asm-arm/mach-types.h' is up to date.
Using /home/linux/linux-irq-flags-t as source for kernel
GEN /home/linux/build/arm-assabet/Makefile
CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
CHK include/linux/compile.h
CC arch/arm/nwfpe/fpmodule.o
arch/arm/nwfpe/fpmodule.c:179: error: syntax error before string constant
arch/arm/nwfpe/fpmodule.c:179: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `__MODULE_INFO'
arch/arm/nwfpe/fpmodule.c:179: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
arch/arm/nwfpe/fpmodule.c:179: warning: data definition has no type or storage class