Re: [ck] RSDL v0.30 cpu scheduler for mainline kernels

From: Lee Revell
Date: Tue Mar 13 2007 - 16:02:50 EST

On 3/13/07, Chris Friesen <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lee Revell wrote:

> Sounds like Wengophone is broken. It should be using RT threads for
> time critical work, as JACK and Ardour2 are doing.

If the app has root privileges to set RT policy, then it could also set
deeply negative nice values as well.

Doesn't reallly help the regular user with no privileges.

Well this was supposed to be solved by RLIMIT_NICE and RLIMIT_RTPRIO
which went into mainline about a year ago but distros have been very
slow to pick up the new PAM, glibc and bash packages. We don't have a
clear picture yet of what defaults the distros will ship.

Lee