Re: [QUICKLIST 0/4] Arch independent quicklists V2

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Mar 13 2007 - 08:01:34 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:30:19 +1100 Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We don't actually have to zap_pte_range the entire page table in
order to free it (IIRC we used to have to, before the 4lpt patches).

I'm trying to remember why we ever would have needed to zero out the pagetable
pages if we're taking down the whole mm? Maybe it's because "oh, the
arch wants to put this page into a quicklist to recycle it", which is
all rather circular.

It would be interesting to look at a) leave the page full of random garbage
if we're releasing the whole mm and b) return it straight to the page allocator.

Well we have the 'fullmm' case, which avoids all the locked pte operations
(for those architectures where hardware pt walking requires atomicity).

However we still have to visit those to-be-unmapped parts of the page table,
to find the pages and free them. So we still at least need to bring it into
cache for the read... at which point, the store probably isn't a big burden.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.