Re: resend: KERNEL BUG: nice level should not affect SCHED_RR timeslice

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Mon Mar 12 2007 - 11:18:59 EST

Con Kolivas wrote:

Indeed we do change timeslice with nice on rt_tasks in mainline at the moment. Truth is most rt programming couldn't care less about timeslices, but your point about it deviating from the standard is valid. RSDL does not change timeslice with nice on SCHED_RR tasks so it's sort of getting addressed by proxy.

Unfortunately we have some vendor-supplied software that does care about timeslices. It's a crazy thing with multiple SCHED_RR kernel threads that don't really self-manage very well. They're spawned by a SCHED_OTHER task and inherit its nice level.

We modified the startup for the spawning task to run it at a lower nice level and were fairly surprised when the latency of message handling went way up.

Chris