RE: [git patches] libata fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 21:00:38 EST

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Paul Rolland wrote:

> My machine is having two problems : the one you are describing above,
> which is due to a SIL controler being connected to one port of the ICH7
> (at least, it seems to), and probing it goes timeout, but nothing is
> connected on it.

Ok, so that's just a message irritation, not actually bothersome
otherwise?

> The second problem is a Jmicron363 controler that is failing to detect
> the DVD-RW that is connected, unless I use the irqpoll option as Tejun has
> suggested.

.. and this one has never worked without irqpoll?

> But, as you suggest it, I'm adding pci=nomsi to the command line....
> rebooting... no change for this part of the problem.
>
> OK, the /proc/interrupt for this config, and the dmesg attached.
>
> 3 [23:22] rol@riri:~> cat /proc/interrupts
> CPU0 CPU1
> 0: 297549 0 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 7 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 4: 13 0 IO-APIC-edge serial
> 6: 5 0 IO-APIC-edge floppy
> 8: 1 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc
> 9: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
> 12: 126 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 14: 8313 0 IO-APIC-edge libata
> 15: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge libata
> 16: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi eth1, libata

So it's the irq16 one that is the Jmicron controller and just isn't
getting any interrupts?

Since all the other interrupts work (and MSI worked for other
controllers), I don't think it's interrupt-routing related. Especially as
MSI shouldn't even care about things like that.

And since it all works when "irqpoll" is used, that implies that the
*only* thing that is broken is literally irq delivery.

Is there possibly some jmicron-specific "enable interrupts" bit?

> PS : I'd like to try 2.6.21-rc3, but it seems that this is breaking my
> config : disk naming is no more the same, and I end up with a panic
> Warning: unable to open an initial console
> though i've been compiling with the same .config I was using for 2.6.21-rc2

Gaah. Can you get a log through serial console or netconsole to see what
changed?

Linus