Re: [2/6] 2.6.21-rc2: known regressions

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 04:22:37 EST

* Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Probably tweaking the webpage doesnt help because people dont get
> > there - as the results plainly show it. Maybe some more automation
> > would be useful too, a tool that detects failed resume and tries all
> > those options that makes sense on that box or something? It's not
> > like that
>
> Unfortunately, these tend to crash the box when you pass wrong
> options, and I do not see easy way to test "can user see whats on
> display" automatically.

you could perhaps try what X's modesetting utility does: display a
dialog box that times out if it does not get clicked on, and reboot if
it did not get clicked on. Likewise, detect upon the next bootup that a
suspend-test was in progress (and didnt get back via normal resume), via
some temporary file. That way both the 'did not resume and i had to
power-cycle' and the 'resume did not restore my X' problems can be
handled.

Finally, when the correct options have been established (worse-case with
a small number of reboots and "yes, indeed the resume did not work fine"
clicks done upon bootup by the user), automatically fill in a webform in
firefox and ask the user to do a single click to submit that form.

techniques like that have more chance i think to get Linux
suspend/resume anywhere near to working. The current 'rely on the
developer' technique apparently does not work.

Ingo