Re: 2.6.21-rc3-mm1 RSDL results

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Sat Mar 10 2007 - 18:12:24 EST

On Sunday 11 March 2007 10:34, Con Kolivas wrote:
> On Sunday 11 March 2007 05:21, Mark Lord wrote:
> > Con Kolivas wrote:
> > >
> > >..

> > > And that's bad. When you say "it stinks" is it more than 3 times
> > > slower? It should be precisely 3 times slower under that load (although
> > > low cpu using things like audio wont be affected by running 3 times
> > > slower). If it feels like much more than that much slower, there is a
> > > bug there somewhere.
> >
> > Scrolling windows is incredibly jerkey, and very very sluggish
> > when images are involved (eg. a large web page in firefox).
> >
> > > As another reader suggested, how does it run with the compile 'niced'?
> > > How does it perform with make (without a -j number).
> >
> > Yes, it behaves itself when the "make -j2" is nice'd.

> > > What HZ are you running? Are you running a Beryl desktop?
> >
> > HZ==1000, NO_HZ, Kubunutu Dapper Drake distro, ATI X300 open-source X.org
> > driver.
>
> Can you try the new version of RSDL. Assuming it doesn't oops on you it has
> some accounting bugfixes which may have been biting you.

Oh I just checked the mesa repo for that driver as well. It seems the r300
drivers have sched_yield in them as well, but not all components. You may be
getting bitten by this too.

http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/mesa/Mesa/src/mesa/drivers/dri/r300/radeon_ioctl.c?revision=1.14&view=markup

I don't really know what the radeon and other models are so I'm not sure if it
applies to your hardware; I just did a random search through the r300
directory.

--
-ck